I’m not a big fan of meme tagging. It’s like the social media version of the email chain letter. But what the hell, if it gets a few people to pay attention to my blog (“HELLO, people, I’m over here!”), then I’m all for it.
So, Doug Haslam tagged me on the what change will Obama bring blog-meme. Rather than answer his question here, I’m going to encourage folks in the Boston area to share their answers at January’s Social Media Club Boston event, where we’ll talk about social media’s implications on local, state and federal government.
HOLD THE DATE
Change Dot Gov: The Social Media Republic
January 15, 2009, 6:30pm
We already have three excellent guest speakers lined up:
- Brian Reich is the co-author of Media Rules! and a regular speaker and writer on the issues involving the impact of the internet and technology on politics, society, and the media. He is the editor of the blog Thinking about Media.
- Matt Viser is a reporter in the City Hall Bureau for the Boston Globe’s City & Region section. He covers local and state politics and has written on such issues as Boston city politics, military base closures, and suburban growth.
- Brad Blake is the Director of New Media and Online Strategy for the Commonwealth of Massachussetts, where he guide’s the governor’s social media efforts.
If you don’t already read the Social Media Club Boston blog, please add it to your RSS reader, or visit the home page and subscribe to the newsletter (see the sidebar). I’ll put more information up there as soon as it’s available.
I’m tagging the following Boston-based folks to continue this blog-meme:
- Brian Reich of Thinking about Media (a no-brainer, right?)
- Mike Volpe, who warned that Boston may be close to saturation when it comes to Social Media events (is that possible?)
- C.C. Chapman, who just today asked what the heck a “social media expert” is anyway (do YOU call yourself one?)
- Gradon Tripp, one of the organizers of Boston’s Social Media For Social Change event (are YOU using social media to promote more than just yourself?)
- Greg PC, who helped create the great SoMeElection08 site where folks can share their insights into the election process (have you signed up and added content?)