[UPDATED ON 27 OCT 2008 AND 30 OCT 2008]
Here’s a quick 10-question test you can give your company/client to see how social media savvy the brand is:
SOCIAL MEDIA SAVVINESS SCORE
Score one point for each completely affirmative answer:
- Web Traffic Test: Using Alexa, is traffic to your site trending up?
- SEO Test: Searching for your brand on Google, is the first page of search results entirely positive or neutral in tone?
- Blog Interactivity Test: Do you have a blog, and if so, are people commenting on it regularly?
- Blog Authority Test: Using Technorati, do you have a registered blog, and does it have high authority?
- Content Syndication Test: Does your blog or website have RSS feeds available?
- Multimedia Content Test: Using YouTube, does your brand have its own channel set up, and is it being fed?
- Social Bookmarking Test: Using Delicious or Digg, are pages from your blog or site being heavily bookmarked?
- Brand Visibility Test: Do you have a branded presence (an account in your brand’s name or a well-known brand evangelist) on Twitter, and is it being updated regularly?
- Social Networking Test: Does your brand have its own page or group on Facebook or MySpace?
- Wiki Test: Does your brand or product have a Wikipedia entry?
Add up your YES answers—you have to answer YES to every part of multi-part questions like #3, #4, #6 and #8—to get a score between 0 and 10. Where do you stand?
- 10 – FTW! Great job! But make sure you’re using all your channels. Don’t join something just to be there.
- 8-9 – w00t! Your brand is social media savvy. People probably think that you get it. Make sure you’re using each channel effectively.
- 5-7 – HTH! You’ve got a good start on things, but are probably missing some important elements of your social media strategy. Maybe we can help?
- 3-4 – OMG! Where have you been? You need to get started. It’s not that hard. Really. Yes, it will take time, but it’s time well spent, both for your career and for your brand.
- 1-2 – WTF? Get yourself and your bosses trained on this stuff. NOW! The sky isn’t falling, YET, but you need to know this stuff!
- 0 – YT? Hello? Is this thing on? Wow… How’d you even find this post? Call me.